Today I got some hint how to implement joining public chats via API in linux Skype.
Continue reading “Linux Skype: Participate in Pulic Chats”
on a plain Lenny with Grub as Boot Manager (Lilo doesn’t work with xen 🙁 ):
apt-get install xen-hypervisor-3 xenwatch xen-tools linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64
/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp: "(network-script network-bridge)"
- Edit /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf
time xen-create-image --hostname=test --ip=10.0.0.11 --arch=amd64 --role=udev
Recently I wondered which hardware I am using in a remote root server. A friend of mine came up with the following command:
This even works on ESX 3.5 Hosts. You see really detailled which hardware is in the box.
Get CDP Neighbor info (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/153320):
esxcfg-info -n | less
NIC Teaming for Cisco Switches:
On ESX set “Route based on ip hash” (http://blog.scottlowe.org/2008/09/05/setting-vmware-esx-vswitch-load-balancing-policy-via-cli/):
vmware-vim-cmd /hostsvc/net/vswitch_setpolicy --nicteaming-policy=loadbalance_ip vSwitch1
Add nic to Team:
esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic1 vSwitch1
Today I had the problem of displaying the version of the interpreter in a perl and a python script.
Continue reading “Getting Program Version within a script”
After installation of VMware ESX 3.5 on a SunFire X2100 the machine always faulted with a root-fs error.
Looking at the VMware forums, I found a post by rpartmann who provides a script to solve this issue.
With the help of his script I found the relevant steps to fix this issue for me:
- Boot into troubleshooting mode (there the SATA controller works).
- go to /etc/vmware/pciid
- edit sata_nv.xml
- As last entry before </vendor> I added:
<name>MCP55 SATA Controller</name>
- then I had to rebuild the PCI-ID Table:
- regenerate the boot-filesystems:
Then I could start without problem on my nVidia SATA chipset.
You might need to do the same procedure after an update of VMware. Haven’t been there so far.
This helps a lot:
exim4 -d+route -bt [email-address]
This week I had to switch a MySQL DB from a latin-1 host to a UTF-8 host (Webserver with Forum/CMS). I have never managed to make this work with only setting the codepages right.
I have put together a perl script that takes the databases and their tables from the one host, encodes it to UTF-8 and inserts the data in the new host.
I hope someone finds this useful: sqlcopyconv.txt
PS: You need to have all the Tables in the new DB created already. But without data.
I got back to playing with Xen again now.
I set up a new box and installed xen via
apt-get install xen-linux-system-2.6.18-6-xen-686.
In the syslog I had heaps of errors like:
Feb 1 11:29:09 test33-10 kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process sshd (pid 2583), cs:ip 73:b7bd59bc
Feb 1 11:29:16 test33-10 kernel: printk: 261591 messages suppressed.
I found out that this was because of libc6-xen was missing. So installing this one, solved the problem for me.